Douglas Lenat is the founder of Cyc, a 37 year project aiming to solve common-sense knowledge and reasoning in AI. Please support this podcast by checking out our sponsors:
– Squarespace: https://lexfridman.com/squarespace and use code LEX to get 10% off
– BiOptimizers: http://www.magbreakthrough.com/lex to get 10% off
– Stamps.com: https://stamps.com and use code LEX to get free postage & scale
– LMNT: https://drinkLMNT.com/lex to get free sample pack
– ExpressVPN: https://expressvpn.com/lexpod and use code LexPod to get 3 months free
Podcast website: https://lexfridman.com/podcast
Apple Podcasts: https://apple.co/2lwqZIr
YouTube Full Episodes: https://youtube.com/lexfridman
YouTube Clips: https://youtube.com/lexclips
SUPPORT & CONNECT:
– Check out the sponsors above, it’s the best way to support this podcast
– Support on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/lexfridman
– Twitter: https://twitter.com/lexfridman
– Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lexfridman
– LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/lexfridman
– Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lexfridman
– Medium: https://medium.com/@lexfridman
Here’s the timestamps for the episode. On some podcast players you should be able to click the timestamp to jump to that time.
(00:00) – Introduction
(07:39) – What is Cyc?
(15:45) – How to form a knowledge base of the universe
(26:11) – How to train an AI knowledge base
(30:32) – Global consistency versus local consistency
(54:53) – Automated reasoning
(1:00:33) – Direct uses of AI and machine learning
(1:13:11) – The semantic web
(1:23:44) – Tools to help Cyc interpret data
(1:32:54) – The most beautiful idea about Cyc
(1:38:53) – Love and consciousness in AI
(1:45:52) – The greatness of Marvin Minsky
(1:50:46) – Is Cyc just a beautiful dream?
(1:55:31) – What is OpenCyc and how was it born?
(2:01:21) – The open source community and OpenCyc
(2:11:48) – The inference problem
(2:13:31) – Cyc’s programming language
(2:21:05) – Ontological engineering
(2:28:30) – Do machines think?
(2:37:15) – Death and consciousness
(2:47:16) – What would you say to AI?
(2:51:52) – Advice to young people
(2:53:48) – Mortality